1 packet contains 50 seeds of Balsam Tom Thumb Mixed - Seeds.
Garden balsam is part of the Impatiens genus. Its scientific name is Impatiens balsamina. A type of non-edible flower / ornamental, it mainly grows as an annual plant - which means it typically only grows best for a single growing season. Garden balsam is known for its erect growing habit.
Garden balsam is a great plant to attract butterflies, bees, and birds to your garden.Garden balsam is normally quite a low maintenance plant and is normally very easy to grow - great for beginner gardeners!Very shade-tolerant, balsam brings the tropics to the annual garden with brightly colored flowers borne closely along the upright, bright green stem of the plant.
||Touch-Me-Not, Garden Balsam, Rose Balsam,impatiens.
||red, orange, yellow, violet, white, pink.
||Summer to frost,
Planting and care
- Balsam needs moist, well-drained soil and performs best in partial shade locations
- Amend the soil with compost and break up clods before transplanting young balsam
- Spacing is 12 to 18 inches apart
- Water the plants from below to help prevent powdery mildew
- A soaker hose or drip line system will assist with this method of watering
- The plants will need supplemental watering at least once a week in the dry months
- More frequent watering is necessary when caring for balsam in containers and hanging baskets
- Collect the seed pod carefully at the end of the season for another year of rose balsam beauty in your garden
- Let the pod dry and keep in a closed plastic bag or jar in a dark, cool area of the home until spring
Balsam Tom Thumb Mixed Color care
- Propagate by seed - Balsam is a prolific self-sower
- After one season of growth, it generally reappears from self sown seeds the next year
- After frost has passed, scatter seeds where desired, or sow seeds indoors 6 to 8 weeks before the last spring frost
- Do not cover the seeds with soil, as they need light to germinate
- Until the seeds germinate, cover the seed trays with clear plastic to maintain high humidity
- Water from below to prevent damping off
- Germination temperature: 65 F to 70 FDays to emergence: 7 to 14
||Full sun to partial shade.
||Most plants like about 1 inch of water per week.ompost will help improve texture and water holding or draining capacity. A 3 inch layer of mulch will help to maintain soil moisture and studies have shown that mulched plants grow faster than non-mulched plants.
||Moist and well drained means exactly what it sounds like. Soil is moist without being soggy because the texture of the soil allows excess moisture to drain away.
||Balsam plants grow well in both sun and shade. The best site offers some protection from afternoon sun, which may cause some browning of the foliage.
||Apply any organic fertilizer.
Balsam Tom Thumb Mixed Color special feature
Discovered in South East Asia, Balsam is an old-fashioned annual that produces single or double flowers in the leaf axils along the main stem of the plant from summer to early autumn. A great bedding annual the plant grows up to 12 inches in height.
Balsam Tom Thumb Mixed Color uses
- Leaves and young shoots - cooked
- (People with a tendency to rheumatism, arthritis, gout, kidney stones and hyperacidity should take especial caution if including this plant in their diet
- Regular ingestion of large quantities of these plants can be dangerous due to their high mineral content )