1 packet contains 25 seeds of Climbing Beans Violette - Seeds.
Very unusual Italian variety carrying deep purple pods almost 1 long. Very vigorous and crops in 60 days and continues to do so for another 60 days. Flat, stringless and tolerant of colder weather. (Beans return to green on being cooked).Beans donâ€™t always have to be grown simply for their fruit.
You can also grow bean vines for their attractive flowers and pods. One such plant includes the scarlet runner bean (Phaseolus coccineus). Letâ€™s learn more about how to grow scarlet runner beans.
||scarlet beans, runner beans.
||up to 2.5m in height
||June to August
Planting and care
- Bean seeds are large and easy to sow
- They can be started indoors or planted direct into the vegetable garden but need warm conditions to germinate
- Sowing bean seeds indoors gives a faster and more reliable germination rate, particularly for runner beans
- At the end of April through to early May sow a single bean seed, 4cm or 1 and a half inches deep, in a 3 inch pot filled with multi-purpose compost
- Seedlings will be ready to plant out after about three weeks
- Before planting out, put them in a cold frame or a cool porch for a few days so that they can acclimatise to the conditions outside
- Alternatively, climbing, runner and dwarf beans can be grown from seed sown directly in the soil between the second half of May and the middle of June
- Before sowing outdoors you will need to construct a support for your beans, wigwams or a double row of inward sloping 8ft canes are popular support options for runners and climbing beans
- Sow beans outdoors from mid-May until July, 5cm deep, two seeds per support cane, spaced 15cm (6in) apart
- After germination remove the smaller and less robust of the two young plants thinning to one plant per cane
- As they grow, ensure the plants continue to twine around their canes and water well
- Runner beans are particularly thirsty
- Picking beans regulary and often will encourage a longer cropping period
||Provide regular water throughout the growing season, but do not saturate the ground.
||Scarlet runner beans should be planted in soil that is high in organic matter
||60 F. (16 C.)
||Use any organic fertilizer.
||May to July, Spring
Climbing Beans Violette special feature
- The Bean plant will generally grow no more than 2 feet tall and produce handfuls of beans at harvest.
- Depending on which variety you choose, the beans are green, yellow or purple.
- Most bean pods (part you eat) will grow to 6 to 8 inches at maturity, but you can harvest earlier and the pods will still have great flavor.
Climbing Beans Violette uses
- It is used as vegetable in cooking